Monday, January 25, 2010

The Pretty Boys - demo


This band reminds me of Bob Ashley. I met Bob in Bryan/College Station, at one of the kickball shows (the one with Trigger and Carbomb). I had seen him around for years and knew who he was. He was the dude in the wheelchair that had a record label. I think he asked me about my Garden Variety shirt, got to talkin, and in the years before email, became instant pen pals. I remember (and still have) the first package I got from Bob. It contained a mixtape with some bands from Lake Jackson that he was either going to release records for, or had already released, and a letter that contained an answer to a question that I had asked in a previous letter.

The Question: "How do I start a record label?"
The Response: "Start Small"

The mixtape had a Boy Wonder demo, an Augustine Demo, and some others. But what got me excited at the time was the Pretty Boys Demo. Four songs of power pop similar to early Green Day, Right Turn Clyde, or 4th Grade Nothing. Lake Jackson punk. Members grew up to be other things, Terry (drummer) has been in several Austin bands (including Pretty the Quick Black Eyes, Markov).

Pretty Boys have recently gotten back together to play a few shows... And there might be some more. I got lucky to see them play a song with the singer from All last year.

Check here for any new news:

MYSPACE


Track Listing
1. Thirteen
2. Tempo
3. Orbatron
4. Soundtrack

DL: The Pretty Boys Demo

No comments:

Post a Comment